[Sca-cooks] online glossary

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Fri Jul 20 06:44:57 PDT 2001

In lists.sca.sca-cooks, you wrote:
>> Coffins of plate =
>>
>> (A Closet for Ladies and Gentlewomen, 1636) - To make Prince-bisket
>> bread... then put it into your coffins of plate, or frames of wood...
>
>Some kind of ceramic drying box punched full of holes? Marmalade recipes
>often speak of special drying boxes, usually providing both ventilation
>and an imprinted pattern in the bottom. Basically, a mold with air holes
>punched into it.

My guess would be for a pie casing (or something of that shape) made of
sugar-plate.  I'd have to see what comes between "To make Prince-bisket
bread..." and "... then put it into your coffins of plate..." to be
certain.

A drying box would not be relevant for bisket-bread, which is a baked
cakey thing.

Yours,

Katherine

--
Lady Katherine Robillard  (mka Kirrily "Skud" Robert)
katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/