[Sca-cooks] Re: Trifle (?OOP) was victoria

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 20 08:17:10 PDT 2001

> > I have seen, with my own eyes, self-contained, all-inclusive packets of
> > instant trifle mix (possibly made by the Bird's people?), consisting of
> > an envelope of instant custard mix, a compressed sponge cake thingy
> > vaguely resembling one of those compressed sponges that puff up when you
> > add water, and an envelope of fruit goo.
>
> Yes... Birds do make an instant trifle "mix" like this - minus fruit goo, add
> a packet of jelly or "jello", a packet of creamy topping powder, and a small
> packet of sprinkles to decorate the whole effort... :-)

Food products like this reassure me that Americans do not have the exclusive on
unappealing convenience foods.  Blargh.

> > While Americans do have the odd food to be embarrassed about, so does
> > everybody else, and in the grand scheme of things, Little Debby Snack
> > Cakes are fairly small potatoes...
>
> True :-)  Using the snack cakes do add a different twist to the dish though -
> and some of the more "modern" or "instant" ways of making trifile still turn
> out a quite pleasant if not all authentic dessert (if you like trifley types
> of things). :-)   I've also used Lady Fingers and "Swiss Roll" (when in
> Britain) in it.  I wonder what would be the most authentic kind of cake to
> use?

I seem to have a memory of a culinary urban legend, wherein  a failed fallen
sponge cake, rescued by a quick-thinking pastry chef with custard, whipped cream
and fruit.  Ergo, any cake that's fallen, broken or otherwise unservable is
completely appropriate.  I confess to having done this on occasion.  Another
plus: day-old cake is perfect for this use. The drier it is, the more spirits it
can absorb.

> BTW Does anyone have a recipe for a Chocolate trifle?
> (Sorry for the OOP bandwidth)

Jump up and down in front of the oven whilst baking a chocolate cake, rescue it
by dressing it up with chocolate custard or pudding, fruits that go with
chocolate [cherries are good, seedless sweet orange, mandarin or tangerine would
be heavenly too] and whipped cream with chocolate chips on top.  Rum to soak the
cake.   'Scuse me, I need to raid the office supply of hot cocoa now.

Selene