[Sca-cooks] online glossary

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Fri Jul 20 11:52:02 PDT 2001

>I'd want to see the full recipe, again.  Is it a sweet thing, as most
>marmalades are?  And why is it listed as "medicine"?  Does anyone know
>what flavour the seeds of red nettles have?  If they're peppery, rocket
>*might* be meaningful, but my understanding of the name "rocket" is that
>it's called that because it grows so fast.  Was the word "rocket" used
>as we understand it in the 17th century?
>
>Yours,
>
>Katherine

A Closet for Ladies and Gentlewomen, 1636 - To make another sort of
Marmelade very comfortable for any Lord or Lady whatsoever.
Take of the purest greene Ginger, six drammes; of Eringo and Saterion
roots, of each an ounce and a halfe: beat these very finely, and draw them
with a silver Spoone thorow a haire searce: take of Nut-kernels and Almonds
blanched, of each an ounce, Cocks stones halfe an ounce, all steeped in
honey twelve houres, and then boyled in milke, and beaten and mixed with
the rest: then powder the seeds of red Nettels, of Rockes, of each one
dram; Plantane seeds halfe a dramme; of the belly and back of a fish called
Scincus marinus, three drammes; of Diasaterion, foure ounces; of
Cantarides, add a dramme; beat these very finely, and with the other powder
mix it: and so with a pound of fine sugar dissolved in Rosewater, and
boiled to Sugar againe, mingle the powder and all the rest of the things,
putting in of leafe gold six leaves, of pearle prepared two drammes, Oile
of Cinamon six drops: and being thus done, and well dried, put it up in
your Marmelade boxes, and gild it, and so vse it at your pleasure.

As you see it says Rockes, not Rocket. At first I thought it was a
description of the nettles, but it says of each one dram, so it's two
things being described.  If y'all know what Saterion, Scincus marinus,
Diasaterion, and Cantarides are, feel free to jump in to the conversation.

Regards,

Cindy