[Sca-cooks] Re: Trifle (?OOP) was victoria

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jul 20 18:10:56 PDT 2001

Druighad at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/19/01 8:05:01 PM Central Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
> writes:
>
> <<  Four ounces, though? That would be somewhat over a cup, I
>  think. >>
>  Actually four oz weight of cornstarch is less than 1/4 cup. I usually go a
> little more or less depending on whether using half-and-half or cream. But
> when using heavy cream(I like the richness) I use even less than that. maybe
> a tablespoon. So it depends on things like that. Also I have noticed that
> sometimes the quality of the yolks can determine the amount of starch needed
> to give a nice smooth finish. BUt that's me.

Are you perhaps on Jupiter, or is my scale waaaay off, or perhaps we're
discussing different things when we say "cornstarch"? I wouldn't have
thought cornstarch could possibly be heavier than water, but your math
seems to suggest it.

I just had to fill a one-cup measure over the top, after re-zeroing my
scale, to get four ounces of cornstarch. Now, if it really is 1/4 cup,
maybe you use 4 Tbs., rather than four ounces?

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com