[Sca-cooks] Farmer's Market??

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Jul 22 10:14:15 PDT 2001

>   "A group of cooks is trying to organize a market at Pennsic for farm
> fresh vegetables, breads, cheeses, and other types of farmer's market
> type products.  We have an extreme prejudice towards organic foods and
> period foods but most of all we want fresh, local, and in season.  This
> would hopefully be implemented by year 200_.  The contact info is such
> and thus.  Our e-mailing list is such and thus.  Please photocopy this
> flyer and give out to other interested parties."

Be sure to define 'period'. It's one of those words we use a lot that
means nothing outside our game.

You may want to check with the Chamber of Commerce for the area, and also
with stands/farmers listed in the Local Harvest search engine.

Local Harvest - http://www.localharvest.org/

Find out where the local farmer's/grower's markets are and see if there
are any businesses that already use two or more sites for selling. You can
also ask the PA dept. of Agriculture if they have any suggestions.

Remember that farm stands set up on the farmer's property have VERY LOW
overhead; merchanting at Pennsic has HIGH overhead by comparison, even
though it's probably cheaper than a booth at the local farmer's market.

There is a produce auction near Pennsic, but you would have to have access
to refrigerated storage for it to be worth while. Every so often I
consider trying to pick up the veggies for our big (800-person-plus) event
at the produce auction, but we never actually use a whole pallet of
something, and most auctions have you bid by the (case, crate, box) and
then pay that price for everything in the lot-- one or two pallets worth.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa