[Sca-cooks] Kitchens

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Mon Jul 23 07:39:29 PDT 2001

>I thought that there were real kitchen architects out there whom
>you could consult. Aside from that, you need to make some basic
>decisons about the purpose of the kitchen in question. There are
>several possible kitchens, and I would expect the site to have
>several of them.
Yeah, but if I were going to consult with an architect on this question,
I'd really like to have most of the specifics already nailed down. ("You
want _how many_ stoves? And two of them must be woodburning?
And be capable of holding _that_ many cooks?") Producing period food
for a variety of cultures is not necessarily the same as producing
food in one of today's restaurants for people with more, ummm, normal
tastes. And have this theoretically period-food kitchen also look
somewhat period. . .

>For example, there should be a teaching kitchen similar to found
>at a culinary school at the front of a classroom with the overhead
>mirror and the whole bit.
You know, no-one's ever suggested that. . . I can see where it'd be
useful in teaching how to make subtleties.

Serving platter prep. Has anyone ever done research on how the food
was served? Has anyone ever served it forth in a manner other than plop
the roast on a tray and trundle it out? (Other than Good Stuff like
Peacocks, and marzipan treats?)

Alban