[Sca-cooks] Dry Ice [was: Kitchens]

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 23 14:58:14 PDT 2001

--- Olwen the Odd <olwentheodd at hotmail.com> wrote:

> >Yeah, we're freezing anything and everything we
> can...then storing the
> > >goods in a very good cooler with large blocks of
> ice. >
> >Kiri
> >

> Doesn't anyone else use dry ice?  It keeps the
> frozens frozen and doesn't
> melt away as fast.
>
> Olwen

I do.  It also doesn't leave your ice chest sopping
wet.  In my 25 gallon ice chest, I use two 7 LB blocks
of dry ice.  If I buy it on Friday morning, it lasts
until Monday morning.  It keeps EVERYTHING in the
chest frozen.  So for those things I don't want
frozen, I use another 25 gallon ice chest, with a 10
lb block of ice, which also melts slower than a bag of
ice cubes, because it has less surface to melt from.
That needs to be replaced every two days.

You can buy dry ice from your local ice company.  I
have never found it in a supermarket or any other
place.  Here in Caid, a 7 LB block of dry ice costs
$7.50.  A lot more than a bag of ice cubes, but a lot
less bother and you don't have to worry about
spoilage.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.