[Sca-cooks] berries

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 23 17:05:22 PDT 2001

>Can anyone tell me what "barberries" might be in modern terms?  I have
>several recipes that mention them but I'm not sure what they are.  I
>also have one recipe that mentions "feberries".  Both are in Markham's
>"English Huswife" and barberries also appear in "The Good Huswife's
>Jewell", both English books from around 1600.
>
>Yours,
>
>Katherine

i may have deleted prevcvious responses, but since I don't see any, here
goes:
I no longer know where I learned this, but, barberries are related to
cranberries, and cranberries can be used in the recipesThe source I was
reading in said that barberries are most often found (in England) planted
for show, rather than planted for food and in modern times cranberries have
taken over the market spot once held by barberries.

Sorry I don't know where this is from. Might be The Eleanor Fettiplace
Receipt Book.

Bonne