[Sca-cooks] Lemon Syrup?

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Tue Jul 24 05:36:56 PDT 2001

In a message dated 7/23/2001 5:08:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jenne at fiedlerfamily.net writes:

> Has anyone ever made lemon syrup for drinks from 'reconstituted lemon
> juice'? Do you mix it equal parts with sugar, and heat?

I do it all the time, and despite Siggy's objections, I find that it tastes
reasonably good.  I don't own an electric juicer, and the tendonitis in the
wrists simply will not take all the hand squeezing required to make it in the
quantities I use (lemonade being one of my favorite drinks).  Jadwiga, if you
had any of it at the bead event, that was made from reconstituted juice.

I worked it out with Food for Fifty book - if you are going for weight
measurement, use 1 1/4 cups of sugar for each cup of lemon juice.  A pint is
NOT a pound the world around.  I bring it to a boil to let the sugar get into
solution, and then simmer it for about half an hour or so.

I haven't kept any of it with the higher concentration of sugar for long, but
with using only 1 cup sugar to one cup juice I would find that even under
refrigeration, after a month or two, it would start to get lumps of what
looked like cotton in it.  I wasn't sure what it was, but I pitched it on
general principles.  I do tend to keep mine in the fridge or cooler.

Brangwayna Morgan