[Sca-cooks] re: Lemon Syrup

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Jul 24 13:53:46 PDT 2001

> > Carbs are nice, but there are people who prefer straight protein
> > as well, and if you're going to offer a wide choice in the one, why
> > not do the same for the other?
>
> Because it has to be served buffet style, outdoors, to 800 people in Pennsic
> weather conidtions with the kitchen rather far away...Even crap meat for 800
> is expensive, as well, and the worse the cut of meat, the more cooking it
> needs, and may not be palatable cold...

Yes, and my budget is $600, ie. 75 cents a head; we will be serving a
dayboard starting about Noon, running to 4:00, then a court board that
starts around 4:30 and runs until court is over.

Nuts get pricey quite quickly, and so does beef, and they get used up very
quickly. Fruits and veggies not only keep well but are cheap. Cheese gets
mushy if it gets too warm but I only offer a small portion at a time to
discourage gorgers.

At Crown Tourney, we offered a separate serving of beef and cheese cubes
(in addition to the chicken soup, lentil soup, eggs, and savory toasted
cheese) at the quarterfinals of Crown because the fighters complained that
they didn't want to eat until they were finished fighting and the protein
was generally all gone. That serving (about 10 lbs meat, 10 lbs cheese)
was finished in 10 minutes flat, and I'm fairly sure most of the fighters
never moved from their positions at the ropes of the finals list. ;)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa