[Sca-cooks] cheese color

Philip Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 25 04:49:18 PDT 2001

On Wednesday 25 July 2001 02:28, you wrote:
> From: "chirhart_1" <chirhart_1 at netzero.net>
>
> > Its what gives cheese its color
<snip>
> Huh? Achiote is a New World item. Didn't the cheese produced before
> Columbus have a color? Or those produced today using Old World
> techniques? Hey, I want to see some of this transparent cheese. :-)

I was going to mention this, but I figured you'd spot it anyway, Stefan ;  ) .

I believe Chirhart means that it figures in modern(ish) yellow cheeses such
as Cheddar and its various industrial derivatives, and considering that
Cheddar as we know it today is more or less post-Columbian, it shouldn't
really matter to us.

On the other hand, well-aged cheeses, even ones without added colorings, can
get pretty yellow just from their butterfat content, but I've never known one
to get that deep reddish-orangey-yellow that modern Cheddar acquires.

Adamantius,
sans anti-Torre/Yankee sig line until later today... I miss it!