[Sca-cooks] Re: standard tests

ruadh ruadh at home.com
Wed Jul 25 06:21:19 PDT 2001

> >  >Its weird how people good in history and science stink in math and
people
> >  >good in math stink in history and english. Good thing there wern't
that many
> >  >mathematicians in the Middle Ages or we all would be screwed >.<

maybe my PhD in Physics [micro-magnetics] that required a minor in
mathmatics, didn't help me to win a poetry contest at Atlantian 20-year
event. Or was it the PhD in Education [Industrial Systems] that helped me to
win an A&S for the porcelain doll. I bet it was math for a Masters in
Computer Sciences that let me programme the Dolby card-weaving loom. And the
MS-EE that taught me how to handle fine wire & to spin my own threads for
the loom.

Math didn't help me measure the dry bushel vs. the liquid quarts vs. Metric
Med's when mixing medical-feed for the cows. Or to figure the butter-fat
content after milking.  [ yah right!]

Look to all the precision we talk of when 'doing' a recipe, and the math to
convert those historic measurements to a form we use now. And then convert
them to where ever we live [ imperial v. metric].

Keeping good friends like us could help re-programme your acceptance of math
and our uses to study cooking history. The perception is yours to own or
adjust.  Ru