[Sca-cooks] Spices and Cooking (oop)

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Wed Jul 25 08:20:30 PDT 2001

So far as the hot spices being used in cultures where the climate is very warm
(Thailand, parts of Mongolia, North Africa, etc.), my understanding is that they
make a person sweat, thereby making the food healthier...it's good for people to
sweat and thereby cleanse the body of all sorts of nasty poisons.  I suspect
that these folks are just as picky about the quality of their meat as 'most
anyone.

I do know that there are some cultures where refrigeration does not exist...I
lived in one, in Papua New Guinea.  I know that they often ate foods that we
might consider a little "off"...I think the reason it didn't make them ill was
that their systems were used to dealing with foods of this type.  In fact, I
asked my houseboy to clean out my refrigerator one time...it had a couple of
"science projects" in it.  I came into the kitchen while he was working on it
and discovered him eating food that I'd told him to throw away!  I never let him
do that again.  However, they didn't use any particularly heavy seasonings on
their food...mostly stuff like coconut milk, fruit, ginger, etc.

Kiri