[Sca-cooks] re: Lemon Syrup

Philip Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 25 09:35:06 PDT 2001

On Wednesday 25 July 2001 12:02, jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:

> Trouble is, leaving out the sugar in sekanjabin or ginger syrup doesn't
> just affect the texture: it makes it not a syrup. The pre-made aspect is
> completely gone.  I know the older sweetener substitutes are NOT supposed
> to be used to make syrups: what about the new stuff marketed as Splenda?

Most of the older artificial sweeteners are unstable at high heat, which may
be another reason why you can't really make a syrup with them. Splenda
(sucralose, a.k.a. polydextrose, I think), on the other hand, is either a
liquid that you add pretty much drop by drop, or it has been incorporated
with some maltodextrin to give it a crystaline texture. It dissolves pretty
much instantaneously, will not make a syrup at anything like similar
proportions to sugar will, and the maltodextrin does contain some usable
carbohydrates, so if that's an issue one needs to be careful of it.

> I've found that trying to add sugar to a drink once it's cold works very
> poorly for me. Perhaps if I ran it through a blender or something?

Maybe, or else dissolve the sugar in a small amount of warm liquid first. But
then I guess you're making a syrup. The liquid Splenda dissolves
instantaneously, in case that matters, but will not have any real syrupy
texture. Which, for thirst-quenchers, is probably better anyway.

I'll probably be available for at least some Friday-night prep, BTW, and I
can even bring you some Splenda, if you want. I seem to have acquired a
rather large free sample of the stuff, sold under another name, still
apparently a Brazillian product that the FDA hasn't begun harrassing yet.
Linea, I think it's called.

Adamantius
troy at asan.com