[Sca-cooks] Re: Curry spices & rancid meat

Nicolas Steenhout vavroom at bmee.net
Wed Jul 25 12:23:20 PDT 2001

>(Re-reading this, it sounds almost as specious as the
>covering-the-rotten-taste theory, but ...

Real life story that happened to my father, a couple of his Senegalese
friends, and I...

We were in Senegal, West Africa, in the mid 80's.  We travelled to the
North of the country, along the Senegal river.  Stopped for food at a
little "hole in the wall" kinda place.  Figured since we were by the river,
we could have fish.  The lady said that they did indeed have fish, but it
hadn't been exactly fished that morning.

It arrived, and it stank!  Out of curiousity, my dad tasted a bite,
exclaimed it was rotten.  One of the two senegalese friends tasted it too,
said "Yep, it's a little old", reached for the "Pili pili" (which is a
chili sauce that's pretty potent).  He finished the dish.

So I'm not sure that the "covering-the-rotten-taste theory " is all that
specious :-)

Muiredach mac Loloig
Rokkehealden Shire
aka