[Sca-cooks] Heron

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Jul 25 16:19:54 PDT 2001

Greetings from Johnnae llyn Lewis

You aren't likely to see herons on a menu/for sale either.

Check out:
http://www.chesapeakebay.net/info/blue_heron.cfm
where it says the following:
Herons have not always been so well protected.
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries,
hunters shot herons, egrets and other birds with
flamboyant plumage to collect their feathers
for the millinery industry, and others shot the
birds merely for sport. The heron was saved from
extinction by the federal government’s passage of
the Lacey Act, which forbids foreign and interstate
trade of wildlife parts, and the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918.

In another spot on the same website, it notes that
an adult heron only weighs 6.5 pounds. So whatever,
substitute you choose should not be as big as a 25
pound turkey.
The best article on the subject is part 3 of Joop
Witteveen's series entitled "On Swans, Cranes, and Herons"
that appeared in Petits Propos Culinaires#26. It talks
about raising and great birds in the Medieval and Early
Modern era.

Johnna Holloway