[Sca-cooks] re: Lemon Syrup

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 26 09:38:03 PDT 2001

margali wrote:

> > > On the other hand, I just got back from my favorite middle
> > > eastern market and was talking with the persian woman who ownes
> > > it and found a new drink to try - willow water with a few drops
> > > of rose water in iced water with pinch of a little seed that
> > > looks like an oval nt-quite-a-poppy-seed.
> >
> > That sounds interesting.  Probably a good headache cure.  Did you catch the
> > name of those seeds?  Nigella maybe?
>
> Well, the name in persian is tokhme sharbati,

"sharbati"?  I guess it's really intended for putting in your drink then!

> but I have no clue
> what it acually is ;-)
> I haven't been able to find a definition on the net, just people
> selling the particular ingredient of that name. What does nigella
> look like?

Rather like oval not-quite-poppy-seed, which is why I thought it might be the same
thing.  Still could be;  I've encountered nigella seeds in real Armenian-type string
cheese, a substance almost but not completely unlike the common String Cheese you
find in American supermarkets.  Nigella seeds lend the cheese a nice flavor;  I
think it's a relative of the onion.

Selene