[Sca-cooks] pickled beef

Tom Bilodeau tirloch at cox.rr.com
Thu Jul 26 13:32:43 PDT 2001

Here is one recipe for pickled beef:
-----
SPICED BEEF  (OR SPYCED BEEF)
by Winifred Corbet de Wynterwood
For many of the feasts I have prepared, I have prepared a dish of cold spiced
beef.  Frequently, I have been asked for the recipe.  Well, for those of you
whom I gave the recipe to and unfortunately misplaced it (I usually end up
misplacing recipes I get from others) or have never gotten a copy but want it
here it is.

Recipe
 beef roast
 whole bay leaves
 whole mustard seeds
 onions, sliced
 vinegar
 sugar
Roast the beef, let cool.  Slice the beef reasonably thin after it has cooled.
Layer the beef in a pot or some kind of sealable container.  Between beef layers
layer sliced onions (enough to make a layer), two bay leaves and a bunch of
mustard seed.  Mix together the vinegar and sugar.  Use just enough sugar to
take away the acidic bite of the vinegar.  Pour the vinegar/sugar mixture over
the layers until they are covered.  Place the lid on the container and set in
the refrigerator for at least two days.  When ready to serve, remove the beef
from the other things in the pot and serve cold.

Comments
This is the way I prepare this dish. I have not included any amounts for bay
leaves, mustard seed, onion, vinegar or sugar.  Frankly, I never know how much I
used each time I have prepared this dish.  Just use whatever works.
When slicing the beef, this works best if the roast is icebox cold.  I usually
cut the beef slices into about 2 inch pieces, this way it is easier to layer
them in the pot.  I don't think the recipe specifies which type of vinegar to
use, but I prefer to use a mixture of apple cider vinegar and red wine vinegar
rather than white vinegar.  This provides a better flavor to the beef.
When preparing to serve the beef, I have sometimes rinsed the beef pieces in
cold water when I thought they were a little too strong.  Use your own judgment.

Credits
I got this recipe from Dame Winifred Corbet de Wynterwood who got it from
Mistress Meghan Pengwyn of Wynterwood who got it from Duchess Melisande de
Belvoir who I believe got it from Grafin Judith von Gruenwald.

~Tirloch of Tallaght