[Sca-cooks] Cloves of Garlic - Quantity question

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Thu Jul 26 21:23:54 PDT 2001

>A clove of Garlic is one segment of a bulb.  Most garlic bought in australia is
>1 bulb that segments into 8-12 cloves.

A bulb is also called a head in many places.

True Story:
Many, many years ago, when there were only two or three inns at Pennsic,
one of them (the Cheshire Inn, I believe) was getting ready for its annual
Mid-Eastern dinner and dance contest. They, as many other merchants do,
hired a couple of people who were intelligent enough to follow directions
well, but not necessarily educated in specific terminology. Near as I can
tell, when these two got to the recipe for hummus, which requires three
cloves of garlic, they looked over and grabbed (you guessed it) three
full heads. . .
I was breathing out garlic for three days - but it was the best damned
hummus I've ever had.

Alban