[Sca-cooks] The Un-viru$

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Fri Jul 27 10:30:44 PDT 2001

    Sounds more to me like your ISP has some unresolved archiving and
forwarding issues. Try emptying your 'Deleted' box, just to be sure, and
create a 'Holding' box. Move everything from your 'Inbox' into it. If it
still happens, more than likely it's not you.

    I VERY strongly recommend to my clients they turn off their ActiveX and
Javascript, and for GOD'S sake, turn off Windows Script Hosting. Windows
turns EVERYTHING on by default, and the script kiddies (the term 'Hacker' is
more than they warrant) gleefully exploit this. I was getting hammered by
some idiot at USF who opened up a virus, and I was getting a mongo file
(along with everybody else in his addy book) every 2 hours. It took a call
to the USF DP dept to get his account cancelled before it stopped. The fool
hadn't noticed that he was sending out 150 MB or so each day . . .
    If you want to learn how to protect yourself, go to www.grc.com and
click on their ShieldsUp! link. There's a very lucid explanation of the
issues, as well as procedures to protect yourself. Just so you know, the
problem is about to get a LOT worse - Microshaft is releasing Windows XP,
which has an unbelievably huge (and potentially unfixable) security hole
known as Raw Socket Support. Without going into technical detail, I'm
anticipating making a PILE of money fixing victimized machines as a result
of this . . . And yes, they know about it, but don't seem to care.
    So CYA - if you don't, well, your life has the potential to get REALLY
interesting . . . in the classically Chinese sense of the word.

    Sieggy