[Sca-cooks] German measurements

Fri Jul 27 12:04:31 PDT 2001

> I have been merrily working on the Cellermasters "Kellermeisteren"
> section which deals with wine, vinegar, bier and water.
>
> I have determined what is meant by "ein Lot XXX" where Lot
> means a plumb
> in modern German and it is meant to equal 16.6 grams or 1/30
> of a pound
> as in "pfund"

Actually a "lot" is 1/32 of a "pfund"  or 1/2 "unze," there being 16 "unze"
in a "pfund."  The modern German pound is set at 500 grams so the modern
"lot" is actually 15.625 grams.  This does not truly provide an accurate
view of the Medieval "pfund" or "lot" as each German state set its own
standard.  For example, the Viennese "pfund" was about 560 grams.

> What is perplexing is the measurements for a "Faß" which
> means barrel as
> in a barrel of water or beer?  Does anyone know or is there a
> reference
> I can use to help me?
>

> Tirloch

While I don't know the traditional German measures, the British wine barrel
was 31.1 gallon, where the gallon was 231 cu. in.  This is the modern
standard US gallon and barrel.

The beer and ale barrel was 36 gallon with a 282 cu. in. gallon.

I suspect the difference may have been based on relative weights and I know
that specific quantities of beer and ale were required to be made from
specific quantities of grain as defined in the Assize of Beer.

Just for more fun, the gallon (Latin: galeta = pailfull) varied widely
across Europe and probably is a real nightmare in the German states.

Bear