[Sca-cooks] Re: Heron (totally non-documented!)

Pixel, Queen of Cats pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon Jul 30 07:01:33 PDT 2001

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001 Devra at aol.com wrote:

> Heron is a wading bird that eats fish.  I read somewhere (can't remember where!)that on the West Coast, wild duck which has a diet heavily weighted to fish tends to have a fishy taste.  These ducks are enjoyed by the local native americans, but many others find the 'fishy' taste unattractive.  This might be a good substitute for heron.  (Not a cheap substitute, mind you...)
> Devra the baker, who is definitely going crazy pre-pennsic

Fish, frogs, small rodents, lizards, snakes. There are a lot of them
around here (MN).

According to people in the know, of the hunting persuasion, Canadian geese
will acquire flavor from what they eat (so, for instance, if they've been
gleaning the unprocessed corn from the manure spread on cornfields...) so
it's not improbable that heron would taste like fish/frogs/etc.

Margaret FitzWilliam