[Sca-cooks] Gyngerbrede (finally!).

Gwynydd Of Culloden gwynydd_of_culloden at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 16:23:14 PDT 2001

I have to say, though, that I have been making Gyngerbrede for some time now
and I gave up following the proportions in ANY redaction ages ago.  I think
that some breadcrumbs hold more or less honey than others.  I simply keep
adding breadcrumbs to my slightly boiled honey until it can't hold any more
which gives the right (to me) texture and keeps the sweets able to be eaten
without serious risk to teeth.  Is this what basically happens with your
redaction?

> I chose to use *completely* dry bread crumbs
> as my standard; they are easy to get (a local grocery
> store with a bakery sells small chunks of dry bread as
> "croutons", with no spices added -- perfect!), easy
> to crunch up into a fine "meal," and consistent in
> texture each time.

I utterly agree.  I use the packaged dry breadcrumbs from the supermarket
for mine - they are very cheap and easy.

> Bring the honey and spices to a
> boil in a large saucepan, then turn off the
> heat and stir in bread crumbs 1 cup at a time,
> mixing completely (important for best texture!).

I also tend to add the spices (and colouring) to the honey before I start
stirring in the breadcrumbs, as you have done here (and as, I was pleased to
see - because it means I have been doing it "right" all along! - it is done
in the sources given on Gode Cookery.  Thank you for that!  As you no doubt
know, that is not how it is done the original in Pleyn Delit).

> press the gyngerbrede into a casserole
> dish or deep tray

I press the resultant mass into a greased and breadcrumbed dish, score it
deeply into serving portions, and allow to set.  I find that I need to dip
the dish into boiling water for a short time to dislodge the Gyngerbrede,
but the breadcrumbing really helps get it out of the pan.  (My first attempt
was not able to be removed from the pan - I served it in the dish and a
number of spoons were bent in the attempt to get a taste!  This one had, I
think, too much honey and an unbreadcrumbed dish).  It should bend and then
break along the score marks and the pieces can be rolled (at some risk of
damage to hands - breadcrumbs are sharp!) into balls if required.  I do find
it essential to score it before it has cooled completely.

> keeps for at least a few days at room temp. and travels
> well.

In my experience, it keeps pretty much indefinitely at room temperature.  I
over-spiced (to my taste) a batch (hey, who knew that there was such a thing
as too much cinnamon?) more than a year ago and my Lady is STILL eating it
with no ill-effects

Gwynydd of Culloden