[Sca-cooks] No Sh*t, there THEY were in MY kitchen

Tue Jul 31 12:13:39 PDT 2001

I think the way to phrase that is:  "They can carry the bacteria which
causes leprosy."

Mycobacterium leprae had not been cultured in the laboratory until Gulf
South Research Institute, New Iberia, LA, used armadillos to culture the
bacteria.  Discovery of the process led to academic infighting and claims of
plagarism, so that when leprosy was encountered in wild armadillos, it was
claimed that the animals were either escapees from GSRI or had been rooting
in medical waste which had not been properly treated.

There is evidence that M. leprae occurs naturally in a small percentage
armadillos and that it predates the GSRI experiments.

This web site presents one side of the academic brawl and some of the
documents and news reports about leprosy in armadillos.

http://www.pandoras-box.org/

Bear