[Sca-cooks] Re: Period Ices/Sorbets/Cold Treats?

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Jul 31 13:56:40 PDT 2001

Johnnae sends greetings.

I have a better ice cream fable than that. The USDA (yes, the federal
government) put out their ag yearbook back in the 1970's as a children's
volume on food and nutrition.  It included, a feast in a castle of 900
years ago where you would have been served coffee, tea and for dessert
ice cream. Well, I called the local congressman and bitched to his staff
about it and was told "well, you know it's meant for children." I have
used it throughout the years as an example of not believing everything
you
read about food. When doing these sessions in classrooms or in
libraries,
 We usually have a really good laugh about "well, maybe
after the dinner the good lord and master took everyone down to Ye OLDE
31 Flavours in the village for a cone." But I do set them straight. I
have
found that most schoolchildren anyway just love to find out that adults
and especially the government don't know everything.

Johnna Holloway