[Sca-cooks] Nasty beer! (was re: polenta)

Steven Weidner bigsteve at nycap.rr.com
Tue Jun 5 09:04:52 PDT 2001

>--- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:
>> > Yeah.... I was like that with Schaeffer Beer for a
>> > long time....
>> >
>> > Balthazar of Blackmoor
>> > (Hey...I was young and unemployed...leave me
>> alone, okay?)
>>
>> Huh? What is "Schaeffer Beer"? Is that like "Coors"
>> "Beer"?
>
>If you can imagine any fermented beverage tasting
>worse than 'Coors Beer', then you have probably tasted
>Schaefer.... It is a very, very cheap brand of beer
>with a distinct 'Scotch Tape' flavor...  If I had to
>describe the aroma, I would call it very similar to
>'Jogger Shoe Twist'.

Ah, nasty beer stories!  My dad still has a can or two of "Billy" Beer
somewhere...

But more to the point, several years ago a friend and I went to the campus
pub for a beer tasting.  12 beers, 6 bucks, sounded like a fine deal to us.
Okay, so they were a little more prepared than we were, and they sat us at
tables of four and gave us one bottle per table.  My friend and I were a
little miffed ("damn cheapskates"), but after the first 7, the other two at
our table quit, so the last 5 were just split two ways.  It was during this
imbibing that we came up with the idea of a *bad* beer tasting.  Have a
bunch of us swill the nastiest stuff that could be found at the local beer
store.  So we set this up.  I don't remember all of the beers (the
purchasing of which got my friend one hell of a look of disbelief from the
salesclerk), but I think the list was

Piels
Rolling Rock
Schmidt's ("In the butt-plug bottles")
Utica Club
Colt 45 (in the 40 oz, of course)
Keystone (With the plastic lined can, for that piquant hint of polymer)
Gennesee Cream ale
Pabst Blue Ribbon

I think there was one more, but I'm surprised I remember that much, after
waking the next morning and wishing to forget as much as possible.  On the
plus side, I discovered that Rolling Rock actually makes a fine pre-singing
gargle for me (so long as I don't actually drink it)

I don't think any of these were even up to the standard of Coors.

Steinn Karlsson