[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #152 - 16 msgs

Lisbeth Herr-Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Fri Jun 8 19:05:29 PDT 2001

I believe Black "Pudding", in this instance, is an English corruption of
"Boudin", the French word for Sausage IIRC (but it's pretty late for me, so
I could recall this incorrectly). At any rate, a Boudin type Black Pudding
in late period was prepared by gentle poaching as it was fragile until
congealed (yes, I know it's icky, but you all asked!). Somewhere I have
record just out of period of French settlers bringing Boudin to the
(American) Colonies. Darned if I can find it now. Got it at the French
Azilum site here in my Canton. At any rate, these Boudin were indeed
sausages made from the blood of a large animal mixed with some sort of
spicing, fat and meal, poured or semi-forced  into large casings and gently
poached until solidified. Quick boiling/cooking would have spoiled the
texture.

Cheers
Aoife---who is actually reading a digest instead of skimming, for once.

In a message dated 6/7/01 11:54:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
stefan at texas.net
writes:

<< Is this how it was done in period? Do we have evidence for this? Or
 was it simply boiled?

I do not have any evidence to hand regarding period cooking of Black
Pudding,
but have to say that boiling Black Pudding (which is basically like a large
sausage link) sounds quite icky to me.

I wonder if you are looking at the word pudding and thinking of the puddings
like Treacle Pudding or Christmas Pudding?  That type of pudding would be
boiled/steamed etc.

It seems the word "Pudding" can denote either type of dish (as well as the
creamy type puddings such as Tapioca or Rice Puddings).

Elysant