[Sca-cooks] Spiced Holiday Nuts recipe - OOP

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jun 9 21:21:27 PDT 2001

I had promised this recipe to Anahita back in April. It's just taken me
awhile to find the time to type it in. Since I thought others here might
be interested, I'm posting it here.

This is NOT a period recipe.

I got this years ago and it has been popular every time I've made it.
Sometimes I will modify the amounts (usually higher) as the mood strikes
me.

If anyone makes these, please let me know how they work out for you.

----------
Spiced Holiday Nuts

For a great snacking gift, put some fire and spice into your favorite
nuts.
Pack them in a wonderful tin, and tie it with a tartan bow.  And don’t
forget
to make an extra batch for your own holiday entertaining.

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups shelled whole almonds or pecans
1 tablespoon coarse (kosher) salt (optional)
Extra garlic salt (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2. In a bowl, mix cumin, chili powder, curry powder, garlic salt,
cayenne,
ginger and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over low heat. Add spice mixture and
stir
well. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes to mellow flavors.
4.Place nuts in a bowl. Scrape spice mixture onto nuts and toss well.
5.Spread nuts in one layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes,
shaking the
pan once or twice.
6. Remove from the oven. With a rubber spatula, toss nuts with any
spices and
oil in the bottom of pan. If desired, sprinkle with coarse salt and a
bit more
garlic salt. Let rest for 2 hours in a cool place. Store in airtight
jars, or
pack up as gifts.

Yield: 2 cups.
From: Austin American-Statesman.