[Sca-cooks] Re: Fusty (online glossary)

Bethra Spicewell christina_elisabeth at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 07:34:51 PDT 2001

Greetings
In regards to the word "fusty"

Merriam-Webster's Colliegate Dictionary defines it thus:
 Main Entry: fus.ty
 Function: adjective
 Etymology: Middle English, from fust  wine cask, from Middle
                   French, club, cask, from Latin fustis
Date: 14th century
Inflected Form(s): fus.ti.er; -est
1 British : impaired by age or dampness : MOLDY
2 : saturated with dust and stale odors : MUSTY
3 : rigidly old-fashioned or reactionary
synonym see MALODOROUS
- fus.ti.ly /-t&-lE/ adverb
- fus.ti.ness /-tE-n&s/ noun

And here's the info on "fusty" I was able to track down with the OED.

""   1. That has lost its freshness, stale-smelling, musty.  a. Of a
wine-cask or vessel. Also of the wine: Tasting of the cask. Obs. exc.
dial.

  1398 TREVISA Barth. De P.R. III. xii. (1495) 57 Wyne and other licour
takyth
infeccion of a vessell that is fusty.
 1520 WHITINTON Vulg. (1527) 15 The wyne bottell is somwhat fusty.
1601 HOLLAND Pliny II. 152 To renue their wines, and make them seem
fresh and new, after they haue by long lying gotten a fusty rotten
tast.

  b. Of bread, corn, meat, etc.: Smelling of mould or damp.

  1491 CAXTON Vitas Patr. (1495) 6 He..founde brede..the whyche was not
fayre, but fusty and spotted.
  1545 R. ASCHAM Toxoph. I. (Arb.) 76 If a feaste..had fewsty and
noughty bread, all the other daynties shulde be unsauery.
 1596 BP. W. BARLOW Three Serm. ii. 59 Who had rather the corne should
waxe fustie in their garners then to sell it out.
  1606 SHAKES. Tr. & Cr. II. i. 111 If he knocke out either of your
braines, he were as good cracke a fustie nut with no kernell.  ""

Christina Elisabeth de la Griffon Riant
Barony of Stonemarche, EK

ps
 Stonemarche just won the bid for Coronation - guess our cooks are
going to be pretty busy !

Bethra