[Sca-cooks] Re: holding doors

upsxdls_osu at ionet.net upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Tue Jun 12 14:33:07 PDT 2001

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:07:27 you wrote:

> No, we're not.  I once met a woman who steadfastly refused to walk through
> any door held open for her.  Considered it demeaning.  Personally, I was
> brought up to hold doors for everybody.  Some men get a bit disconcerted by
> this, and wave me through.  I just stand there and say, "I'm the one with
> the door. Get in there!"
>
> Vicente
> (Can consciousness be raised to the point of foolishness?)

Imagine my chagrin one morning on my way into work.  I was loaded down with
work I'd taken home, as well as my brown bag and purse.  I was following the
then University President up to the door.  He walked on through and let the
door slam in my face!  If I see anyone, male or female, carrying up to the
door, I open and hold it for them.  Same with the elevator door.  The same
situation arose with the current University President, but the outcome was
different, he not only opened the door and held it, but asked if I needed a
hand getting to my office.  What a difference!

Liadan