[Sca-cooks] barding/larding

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jun 17 13:34:56 PDT 2001

Admantius said:
> Barding is distinguished from larding in that while larded meats are
> studded with slivers of lard inserted into little slots cut into the
> outer surface of the meat (and this is called studding when other
> things, such as cloves, are used, according to Le Menagier, which
> suggests the process is at least that old), barding is the process of
> coating a piece of meat entirely with fat, essentially wrapping the meat
> in sheets of fat sliced from a block of [usually] flead, flitch, suet,
> or whatever else your culture calls unrendered kidney/loin fat.

<snip of other neat info>

Thanks, Adamantius. I thought barding was also what the cloth that was
sometimes used to decorate/cover horses was called.

I wonder if the name for meat treatment was borrowed from that, or
perhaps vice-versa. Can anyone with access to the OED tell us what
they say about "barding"?

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net