[Sca-cooks] Fw: boil or roast first ?

ruadh ruadh at home.com
Sun Jun 17 19:56:58 PDT 2001

Ok gang here's one that seems to have reversed the process of boil the pig then roast. Place is Citie of Henricus [ Up river from Jamestown, Va. USA, became the 'second' settlement.  this is the place of Pocahontas fame, her dad was the King of 'all' these lands.

  http://www.co.henrico.va.us/rec/namelist.htm#Arrohateck

  "Arrahattock Town Site (43-52 - Dutch Gap Quad) Arrahattock was an important Indian town when the first Englishmen sailed up the James River in 1607. Here, in May of 1607, Captain Christopher Newport was kindly received by the werowance, or chief, of the town.
    John Smith writes: "We found here a wer-o-wance, for so they call their Kings, who sat upon a mat of reeds, with his people about him. He caused one to be laid for Captain Newport; gave us a deer roasted, which according to their custom they seethed (boiled) again. His people gave us mulberries, sod wheat, and beans; and he caused his women to make cakes for us. He gave our Captain (Newport) his crown, which was of deer's hair, dyed red. Certifying him our intention (to proceed) up the river, he was willing to send guides with us."
  Arrahattock is noted on the Fry-Jefferson Map of 1751. This Contact Period site may be of considerable archaeological significance. [ Inventory of Early Architecture and Historic/Archaeological Sites. J.M. O'Dell C 1976 rev 1978, County of Henrico, VA.]