[Sca-cooks] Re: medieval healthy food

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon Jun 18 12:25:25 PDT 2001

Adamantius commented:
> I'm thinking, for example, of the steamed beef stew that appears to be
> made without salt, and the lentil and coriander "salad" which is
> decadently spiked with olive oil. I think these made it into the Florilegium.

I believe this file in the FOOD-BY-REGION is the one of which Adamantius
speaks
Roman-Recipes-art (19K)  5/31/00    Some recipes from "Anthimus' _De
                                       Obseruatione Ciborum_" by
Adamantius.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/Roman-recipes-art.html

When looking for "healthy" medieval foods, I think one must also
keep in mind that many (most?) of the documented medieval foods were
meant to be feast day foods. Most folks, even nobility, were unlikely
to eat like this every day. Many medieval people seemed to have
alternated between not having enough food and occasionally, an over
abundance of food. Neither extreme should be taken as the usual fare.

We previously had a short discussion on "healthy" medieval food. While
I saved some of this, I haven't made a file from those messages. If
anyone would like those messages, please write me and I'll send what
I have.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net