[Sca-cooks] quail eggs

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jun 24 15:42:11 PDT 2001

> > Was wondering if anyone knew of any period (or even
> > non-period) recipes
> > using quail eggs? We just started raising some for
> > fun, and are starting to
> > get some eggs - they lay every day just like
> > chickens. We read that if you
> > hard boil them, and then soak them in vinigar, the
> > shells will dissolve
> > away, so I'm thinking pickled quails eggs must have
> > been done somewhere.
> > Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, let us know!

Quail eggs have been discussed several times on this SCA-Cooks list
before. You might look in this file in the FOOD section of the
Florilegium. I'm not sure if some of the period recipes in this file
were originally for quail eggs or not. In most case though, since
fresh quail eggs are generally not available, the redactions given
in this file have been done with chicken eggs.

There are also some interesting presentation ideas given which can be done
with quail eggs.
eggs-msg         (125K)  7/26/00    Egg storage. Recipes. Substitutions.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/eggs-msg.html
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net