[Sca-cooks] American Iron Chef

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 25 14:28:00 PDT 2001

> > Yeah....combine that with the rumors I've heard
> >about an American version of Iron Chef hosted by William
> > Shatner, and one wants to run screaming into the night!!!!
> >
> > Kiri
> >
>WANTS to run screaming?
>
>I think the soles of my Nikes are already smoking. This must be one of the
>signs of the apocolypse.  Just get
>into your car and drive until you run out
>of gas, folks!
>I know.. I'll wake up, and this will all just be a very bad
>dream... Either that or I have a strong argument to take
>up drinking Screaming aussies again.
>

>Boroghul

Why? When I first read about the American Iron Chef I was
appalled as well. But then I began to really think about it
and I don't think it would be all that bad.
Okay, the first argument is William Shatner. But why is this
so bad? Mr. Shatner has spent quite some time laughing at
his own image and could impart the sense of fun in the show.
C'mon now, do you really think Kage is a serious character?
Geez, look at his outfits! He's a comic overactor fulfiling
a classical role. I can think of no better actor to bring
the combination of haughty/comic ability than Shatner.

Second, I think it would be nice to have experts in the
cuisines being of an American culture. Mainly because we would
probably bring in people who were actually of the culture.
Although I think it is definately eye-opening to see "Masters
of Italian cuisine" who are Japanese I think it would be even
better to see "Masters of Italian cuisine" who are Italian.
American television would be far more likely to do this than
Japanese.

Third, the show is supposed to be a bit over the top. I remember
the earliest reviews of Iron Chef saying basically the same
thing, "A show that brings the drama and deliberate kitchyness
of Japanese Gameshows together with serious cooking."

I'm willing to give "Iron Chef, American" a chance.

Emeril's show? Nah.
Now to those Emeril fans out there, I do like his "Essence of
Emeril" show. Basically him cooking and talking about the
history of dishes. I hate his "Infomercial", dittohead, programmed
audience show though.

And the sitcom may not be THAT bad. At least he's willing to
poke a bit of fun at himself, as he's done several times on
his own show. (But don't count on it.)

Gunthar