[Sca-cooks] Beet Dye

Jennifer Thompson JenniferT at ptb.com
Tue Jun 26 14:18:42 PDT 2001

> Beet dye? How did you go about fixing it? This
> sounds interesting...
>
> Giano

I must have done so accidentally, since I have been told that it won't work.
8-) Perhaps a reaction to something I inadvertently included? I soaked the
wool in vinegar water (Wool in bowl, water to level of squished down wool,
big splash of cheap white vinegar) then pressed the wool down, drained some
of the acidulated water and dumped (oh dear, now I have to confess) the
liquid in a can of beets over it. No mordant, I don't think I added salt (I
was doing a bunch (Kool Aid, Easter egg dyes) and it was pretty late by this
time) and my kitchen doesn't have potassium ash or anything else in it. 8-)
I dried this one indoors to avoid the rain that we didn't get, so it didn't
get sun. I'll try again and see if I can replicate the experiment.

Lann  (Did anyone else tie the "weyr woman" and the anime threads together
into Ranma 1/2?) Sigh.