[Sca-cooks] Gum Tragacanth Sources

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jun 28 09:59:07 PDT 2001

Greetings. If my old memory works right, it seems there was a
discussion that gum tragacanth wasn't "findable" in the US anymore.
Master Aiden, from my local group, found two sources for me right
away and here they are for you.

http://www.bakingshop.com/sugarcraft/gum.htm
http://beryls.safeshopper.com/142/cat142.htm?772

He noted: "I've also discovered that it's also used for
leatherworking, incense, bookbinding, and making pastels,
curious..."

The "Beryl's" site has a pound of gum dragon for $30, plus shipping
and handling.  This corresponds well to the price some 10 years ago
of $30 which included $5 shipping/handling from Penn Herb, which
apparantly no longer carries gum tragacanth.  If you want to make
period sugarpaste, you need this stuff.  They also sell it in
smaller quantities.

Alys Katharine