[Sca-cooks] A Question...Cookbooks in London

johnna007h at netscape.net johnna007h at netscape.net
Thu Jun 28 20:44:51 PDT 2001

A question that someone here might be able to help
me with:

I'll be in London in July, among other things
shopping for cookbooks, and am still looking for
good addresses to browse for historical ones and
'period stuff'. Can anyone point me to something?

Thanks

Giano

Books for Cooks in London has a home page at www.booksforcooks.com. It includes a map indicating which tube stops are closest and what other shops are in that neighborhood.  For secondhand books, I rather liked the smaller shops off Charing Cross and also around the British Museum when I was there in the 1980’s.  Also Shaftesbury Avenue was full of gourmet and neat cookware shops that had all those funny sorts of speciality bakeware called for in traditional English cookery.
As a final word of caution, be sure and
Bring a backpack so you can carry away all the books. The carrier bags can really cut into ones hands.

Johnna Holloway