[Sca-cooks] Galingale

Pixel, Queen of Cats pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon Jun 4 05:34:50 PDT 2001

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> In that market I also found jars of *powdered* galingale! (galingua).

Penzey's (www.penzeys.com) sells powdered galingale, as well. I am
fortunate enough to have *two* of their retail outlets available locally
(also in Milwaukee and in Chicago somehere). Penzey's is nifty for no
other reason than they have big 8 oz. jars of the herbs and spices as
"sniff jars" so you can experience what you're buying before you open the
package. They're not the cheapest but I've always found their products of
excellent quality, and at least the St. Paul staff is knowledgeable and
helpful.

On their website galingale is listed under "specialty spices", spelt
"galangal".

Margaret FitzWilliam