[Sca-cooks] Summer starts WHEN?

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Mon Jun 4 23:08:05 PDT 2001

Adamantius wrote:

>I have to agree here. Whatever local standards may apply as to what
>constitutes the first cold or hot day, and the use of terms like
>"winter-like weather" (and this can easily lead to this type of
>confusion), I've never heard a meteorological-type actually refer to
>seasons changing at any time other than the solstices and equinoxes.

There is some information here:
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_170b.html

Here in Iceland, Summer starts on the first Thursday after April 18th, and
has done so for at least 1000 years. But then, the old Icelandic calendar
has only two seasons. The first day of summer is an official holiday, with
parades and outdoor celebrations which usually have to be moved inside
because of snow or bad weather.

Nanna