[Sca-cooks] Re: brocoli and Sugar....from a news group

ruadh ruadh at home.com
Tue Jun 5 11:33:22 PDT 2001

from the newsgroup....
    A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down -- and it also may help
broccoli and other vegetables go down as well.
    "Flavour-flavour learning involves linking a food that may be good
nutritionally, but not particularly tasty, with a taste that humans are
genetically programmed to like, such as sweetness," Elizabeth D. Capaldi, a
professor of psychology at the University of Buffalo (N.Y.) said. "Once the
palate has learned to associate broccoli, for example, with 'tastes good'
and that taste pattern is set, the sweetness can be removed gradually and
broccoli will be appreciated on its own merits."
    Capaldi admitted parents may not be keen on dosing their children's
fruits and vegetables with sugar, even temporarily, but she said she knows
from experience the method is effective. She has used flavour-flavour
learning
to teach college students to like cauliflower and 5-year-olds to "happily"
drink grapefruit juice.

As for Ru:
I like it steamed and M.Jack cheese. or Garlic butter [litely]. and of
course Bean-O.
the cooks' challenge should be taste[s]  and presentation[s], not sugar and
social programming.
I have fun with various flavours added to the steaming waters. my regulars
are Worcestershire, Garlic crushed, ginger ground, Earl Grey Tea, Meat/bird
broth, Honey Mustard, in any combo or singles. If plain water [or broth] try
making a soup from the *now* veggie flavoured steamed waters [ look at it,
its got colour and "A" flavour]. When back-pack camping and drinking water
is premium... don't throw it out. it's a veggies drink ... hot or cold. or
is it my "waste not want not"... Scottish ways?  Ru