[Sca-cooks] online glossary

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Jun 5 12:41:20 PDT 2001

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

"Cindy M. Renfrow" wrote:

Aromaticum Rosarum = ?
(A Closet for Ladies and Gentlewomen, 1636) - To make Aromaticum
Lozonges... put in of the spices of Aromaticum Rosarum, 4. drammes...

hurdle -
(A Closet for Ladies and Gentlewomen, 1636) - To make Prince-bisket
bread... and dry them againe upon a hurdle of Wicker...

My reading of this would be a cooling rack made of wicker

Muskadine - ?
 (A Closet for Ladies and Gentlewomen, 1636) - To make Prince-bisket
bread... and a spoonfull of Muskadine,...

Muscadine grapes or raisins????  I know that there is a kind of wine made from
that sort of grapes...maybe that's what they're talking about.

Must

I think we did discuss this about a year ago, and I believe that it is the
pre-wine unfermented grape mixture.  I think another name for it could be
"sappa"...and I have a bottle of it waiting for me to use it to make that
lovely red mustard from Platina, thanks to Mistress Hauviette!

Mustard (sauce)

menjoire - a dish found in le Viandier
[1]

Sorry, but that's about the most I can provide.  And I didn't provide any of
the references you seek.  Hope it helps a bit.

Kiri