[Sca-cooks] Summer starts WHEN?

Nanna Rognvaldardottir nanna at idunn.is
Wed Jun 6 02:32:32 PDT 2001

Stefan asked:
> Did these celebrations used to be done outdoors? If so, does this change
> to doing them indoors mean:
> a) The climate has changed
> or
> b) There are now larger buildings such that large group activities can
> now be held inside instead of outside
> or
> c) Modern Icelanders have become more comfort conscious?
> or
> d) Even if this date has always started Summer, it wasn't celebrated
> the way it is now?

All of the above are true but the correct answer is d).

Icelanders used to be much wiser than this, they celebrated indoors, by
serving feasts, playing games and giving gifts - the custom of giving a
sumargjöf predates Christmas gifts in Iceland by several centuries. This was
done in the home; larger celebrations began in the late 19th century and the
parades and such in the 1920s.

This day is also the first day of the month of Harpa and since Harpa was
personified as a young girl, she was especially celebrated by young men -
how, I'm not quite sure. It is said to be a good omen if winter and summer
"freeze together" - that is, if the temperature drops below freezing in the
night before the first day of summer. Also, when you see the first summer
moon, you should keep silent until someone speaks to you.  Whatever he says
(or "answers into the summer moon") can then be taken as a kind of omen or
prophecy.

Nanna