[Sca-cooks] Good beer and a question

Chip jallen at multipro.com
Wed Jun 6 11:11:03 PDT 2001

>>Throw out the beer.  Drink hard cider, Hornsby's is good.
>>Liadan

> Have you tried the cider with the K on the lid?  Cann't remember
> what it's called, just know it's a black painted bottle with a K on
> the lid.
> Olwen

That is its name.  "K".  The (extremely small) bottle explains that
"way-back-when" the 'K' mark was used to denote liquids of exceptional
purity and quality.

Their annoyingly Flash-heavy website goes into slightly more detail:
www.kcider.com

I can attest to its tastiness, though I balk at paying $4 per
(tiny, minuscule, diminished, dinky, petite, and other words that mean
'small') bottle down at the pub.  They used to carry Woodpecker on
tap and your $4 would get you a whopping great glass of it, but they
dropped it due to lack of interest.  Bunch of savages in this town.

Hornsby's is also quite pleasing and a bit more reasonable at $7 per
six pack.  It's also much more available (Wal-Mart) and is very
popular at wars.

My 2¢ worth.

ObFood:  I'm overlording the feast (my fourth!) for my shire's
late-period Shakespeare-themed rapier-emphasis event in October.  I've
decided on one course each of English, French, and Italian.

I, of course, will consult the usual suspects: the Florilegium,
Cariadoc's Miscellany, Ms. Renfrow's lovely Thousand Eggs, and the
numerous private pages our there.

My question -- what are generally accepted as the best versions of the
'big ones' of late-period European cooking:  Platina, Curye on
Inglysh, Forme of Curye, Le Menagier de Paris, etc., for beginners.  By
'best' I mean accuracy of translation, ease of use, and such.  Also,
what 'big ones' have I missed?

I suppose it's about time I started my library.  :)

My thanks,
Iyad ibn Bisharo / Thrain Tjuguskegg
Shire of Easaraigh, Kingdom of Meridies
Chip Allen, Cookeville, TN