[Sca-cooks] Iceland & Scotland - what to get?

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Wed Jun 6 12:06:35 PDT 2001

M. Gwyneth asked:
> My parents will be traveling to Iceland (Klefavik, Reykjavik) and Scotland
> (Glasgow, Iona, Edinburgh) on vacation for the next 2 weeks. What would be
> interesting food/drink-related items to bring back for me that could fit in a
> suitcase?

Over the last few years, Nanna has regaled us with some wonderful
stories about the various foods of Iceland. Some of these may not be
commercially available or available at this time of year, however
you might look through this file in the FOOD-BY-REGION section of
the Florilegium and see if any of these items appeal to you. The
Icelandic shark and some of the whey cheese come to mind:
fd-Iceland-msg    (56K) 11/29/00    Food of medieval Iceland. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Iceland-msg.html

For Scotland, this file:
fd-Scotland-msg   (39K)  9/21/00    Medieval food of Scotland. recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Scotland-msg.html

There is always haggis, but the opinions on the canned variety have
not been good. However, perhaps it could be bought fresh and kept
ok until you got it. I have no idea if there are any food import
restrictions from those two countries.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net