[Sca-cooks] polenta

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 6 20:29:40 PDT 2001

> Apicius considered a version made of wheatmeal fried in olive oil and
> drizzled with honey to be a delicacy.
>
> I can assure you cornmeal mush is no less edible than pancakes or corn
> bread.   Since you have a problem with corn, I would recommend trying the
> Apician recipe.  I also recommend toasting the meal before making the
> polenta, as it will help reduce the bitterness of the wheat and
> improve the
> flavor.
>
> Bear

niccolo will correct me if I'm wrong, but it may well have been the Apician
recipe that was used at the dinner we were at.  I know I've had it when nic
made it before. (I liked it.)   Unfortunatly, nic's Laurel got up and made a
very nice speech, welcoming her guests, thanking nic for all his work,
looking forward to the polenta, yes, polenta, did you know that polenta was
a period dish?  Yes, and nic's polenta is just wonderful for polentas (you
get the picture). After that, nothing was very appetizing to him, I'm
afraid.  :(
Christianna