[Sca-cooks] OTOTOTOT: the po' boy sandwich

Pixel, Queen of Cats pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Jun 7 10:20:42 PDT 2001

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Olwen the Odd wrote:

> >Never seen fried oyster sandwiches down under.  We tend to eat grilled
> >oysters
> >with Worstershire sauce and bacon still in their shells.  Yumbo.
> >Drakey.
>
> Cripes!  Last to know again.  Why didn't anyone tell me bacon came in
> shells?

Bacon nowadays is usually a shell-less hybrid bred for ease of
picking. Older varieties of bacon that still have the distinctive
shell are considered heirloom varieties, sometimes available
regionally. Bacon without shells grows faster and larger, while shelled
bacon is smaller but more flavorful, as the shell provides an additional
layer of protection.

Modern bacon is picked, sliced, and packaged quickly. Shelled bacon can be
aged after picking in cool rooms, much as steaks are aged. And you can use
the shells to flavor soup stock.

Margaret (who is way too punchy today, I think)