[Sca-cooks] OT: FW: [TY] Think you know when Columbus "sailed the ocean blue"?

Thu Jun 7 10:55:40 PDT 2001

Interesting, but sloppy.  1485 AD is 863 AH not 890.  890 AH corresponds to
the period 1512-1513, six years after Columbus' death.  The Moslem calendar
(systemized in 639 CE) begins in September 622.  The starting date is based
on the Hegira, Mohammad's flight from Mecca to Medina.  Subtracting 622 from
a Common Era Gregorian date postdating the Hegira will give you the
approximate year in the Moslem calendar.

The Piri Reis map is something of an anomaly.  It is very accurate for the
scale and it shows the coast of Antarctica as it would be without ice (last
seen that way about 10,000 years ago).  The photograph shown in the article
is only half of the map, IIRC.  While presenting a fantastic theory, Charles
Hapgood's Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings sets out some solid information
about the Piri Reis map should you be interested in pursuing that further.

The other entries are mostly overstatements of speculative scholarly
arguments based on tenuous evidence.  Only the Greenlanders left irrefutable
evidence of pre-Columbian visitation.  I note the author did not provide the
same access to the rebuttals.

Bear