[Sca-cooks] fat back or salt pork

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jun 7 13:19:39 PDT 2001

Angie Malone wrote:

> Hmm that brings a dilemma.  If  I can't find  fat back wonder what I
> should substitute for it for the blancmange I am making.  When I
> tested the recipe to see how much it would make for quantity  I
> didn't have any fat back so I sliced a little bacon off the slab I
> had in the freezer and used that since I thought it would have
> probably the same consistency but NOT the same taste.  It did give it
> a good taste though.

That would depend on the recipe. Can you post it or give us the source?
To be honest, all the blankmanger recipes I've used have called for
white grece, which would likely be rendered lard or suet. It's mostly
there to lighten the texture of the dish and prevent a skin from forming
on top. I guess you can take the rice pudding out of the skin, but you
can't... well... you know...

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy