[Sca-cooks] Good Beer Recipe (Long)

James R. May robmay at home.com
Thu Jun 7 14:00:45 PDT 2001

At 03:38 PM 6/7/01 +0000, you wrote:
>>I've seen old ads for an A-B product called "Old Burgundy", which was
>>apparently a barley wine.  I wonder who I'd have to mug for that recipe?
>>
>>Vicente
>
>Well.  If the Jehan Yves on this list is the famous Lochmere brewer then I
>would beg of him to research this out.  Would that be you good Lord?
>Olwen
         That would be me. According to their web page
http://www.anheuser-busch.com/overview/abi.html
They don't show an " Old Burgundy ". On the other hand I do have a recipe
for a very good barley wine that I am willing to share. I have made it
before, and just started another batch last Sunday.
Recipe courtesy of Maryland Homebrew   MDHB.com

Younger than Nick's Barley Wine
         OG: 1.090       FG: 1.018       ABV: 8.7%

Ingredients:
         2  3.3 lb. cans light unhopped malt extract
         3 lbs. light dried malt extract
         1 lb. light brown sugar
         .5 lb. wheat malt
         .5 lb. crystal malt 20
         .5 lb. cara-pils malt
         2 oz northern brewer hop pellets
         1 oz eroica hop pellets
         1 tsp. irish moss
         White labs trappist ale yeast or dry champagne yeast
         .5 cup priming sugar

Directions:
         1. Steep grains in hop bag in 2 gallons of water at 155 deg. F.
for 30 minutes. Remove grains.
         2. Add malt extract and brown sugar. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
         3. Add all hops and boil for 60 minutes.
         4. Add irish moss for last 15 minutes of boil.
         5. Combine wort with water to make 5 gallons. There is no need to
strain.
         6. Pitch yeast when wort temp. is between 70 and 80 degrees F.
         7. If using one step fermentation, allow to sit at 65 to 70 deg.
for about 7 days, then use a sanitized hydrometer to ensure that the beer
has reached its final gravity. If using two step fermentation, rack to
secondary fermenter after five days and allow to sit for another 10 - 14
days before bottling.
         8. Prime and bottle. When priming, disolve priming sugar in two
pints of boiling water for 15 minutes. Pour this mixture into the empty
bottling bucket and syphon the beer from the fermenter over it. This method
ensures that the priming sugar will disperse evenly throughout the beer.
         9. For proper carbonation, store the beer at 75 degrees for at
least the first week after bottling. This will allow the yeast to feed on
the priming sugar and produce the necessary carbon dioxide needed for
carbonation. This beer will not be ready to drink for awhile, two to three
months on average.  Hint: Do yourself a favor and hide a six pack from
yourself for a year. This one will be ideal then.

THL Jehan Yves de Chateau Thiery			Rob May
Kingdom  Royal  Brewer				Laurel, MD.
Brewers, Vintners, Mazers, & Cordialers Guild		301-490-3456
Barony Lochmere
Kingdom of Atlantia